Monday, August 9, 2010

King Saul

Saul's story can be found in 1 Samuel 9 - 31.

Saul's story is difficult. It is full of violence, jealousy, and betrayal.

But as John told us yesterday, at the heart of the story is a very human person - Saul.

Saul is anointed by God for a job (King of Israel) which he neither sought nor was prepared to execute.

He started out with good intentions. He wanted the best for his people and wanted to please God. But along the way, fear and jealousy, pride and ambition get in the way leading to a tragic end.

Perhaps none of us would like to admit to being like Saul but if we are honest we can all find a connection to our own story.

I feel like I constantly walk a line between having enough confidence in myself to go out and do what God has called me to do and yet not beginning to think too highly of my own skills. Luckily, God seems to help me out with this. Just about the time I start thinking - "wow, I really have this ministry stuff down," I make some stupid mistake. Then about the time I am so down on myself that I think "I have no right to be doing this," someone tells me how something that I have done has made a difference in their life and I think "God has not deserted me" and I keep trying.

When had God called you to do something you felt unprepared to do? How did it turn out?

1 comment:

  1. I write about my daily struggles with this in my personal blog. God told me to write the blog. I use my skills as a planner and a writer to make it happen. I am slowly learning that my mind and hands are to be a vessel for God to speak through somehow. I was unprepared to let go and let God!

    Other examples in my recent history: I feel God called me to play a special role in a friend's life. I messed it up because of the same issues that Saul had. I learned that God is much more forgiving of me that I am of me!

    The bottom line for me is: Yes, I have strengths, but I still have to rely on God to use them!

    ReplyDelete