Monday, July 19, 2010

The Creation Story

On Sunday, John gave us a wonderful explanation of the creation story in Genesis 2 - 3. He described how Adam (literal meaning "the earth creature" or "creature of the earth") represents humanity. He was created by God as we all are created - in God's image, with the potential to be connected in deep and sacred ways with other humans, with non-human creation, and most of all with God.

But we mess things up and we find ourselves unconnected at the same time that we long for connectedness and wholeness.

Questions to ponder for this week:
* In what ways are you disconnected to God, to others and/or to nature?
* What are you doing to restore those connections?
* In what ways do you feel connected?

4 comments:

  1. I feel disconnected sometimes due to the way our society "pigeonholes" people. We are taught to categorize people and only "connect" with folks in specific categories. As Christians, I believe that we need to be open to connecting to anyone (God will give us wisdom to remain safe). Just like our church says "All are welcome", each of us needs to extend that welcome for us to connect.

    I feel connected to church through the small group experiences I have enjoyed and as a member of the larger audience at a worship service as I react similarly to a sermon or testimony or piece of music.

    ReplyDelete
  2. During those times I feel most disconnected from anyone is when the communication has stopped. It is usually because I have become too busy to stop, listen, and respond. My prayer life is important, but there are times when that disconnect happens when I allow or choose to allow something to shorten that prayer time. Any relationship, especially ours with God, suffers when we fail to communicate. Isn't Grace wonderful?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I feel disconnected most of the time right now because of my unemployment status and staying home alone. I have been praying, reading books and attending several meetings to help myself with this disconnection. It is at the times when I attend social functions - church, meetings, art festivals and such that I feel connected once again.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I feel disconnected from God, when I get too busy to see who and what is around me. I see God in others and in His creation so when I don't see these things clearly, I don't see Him clearly.
    I feel most connected during a great sermon, when I spend time with my small group but especially when communing with nature.

    ReplyDelete