Tuesday, July 27, 2010

Shiphrah and Puah

Shiphrah and Puah were the Hebrew midwives who defied Pharaoh to let the baby boys live. Because of their courage, Moses was able to grow up and lead the Hebrews out of slavery. Their story can be found in Exodus 1:8-22.

In his sermon on Shiphrah and Puah on Sunday, John stated, "God won't without us and we can't without God."

I really liked that. We can't sit back and expect God to fix all the problems of the world without any effort on our part and we can't set out to save the world or even ourselves without God.

I think about this every time I say to someone, I will pray for you. It's not that I don't believe in the power of prayer but what if God means for me to be part of the answer also? What if God wants me to do more than pray for the homeless but to actively work on their behalf? What if God wants me to do more than pray for someone in pain but to also be there with them letting them know that they are not forgotten?

What about you? What do you think God needs you to do? What do you feel called to do but know you cannot do alone?

1 comment:

  1. I feel God wants me to be available. I am a "planner". God wants to lead me into unplanned territories so I will rely on Him. I can't do that alone. I also have a friend that I feel God wants me to help. I cannot do that alone. It will take us both working together to accomplish God's will.

    ReplyDelete